Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Seeing a Muesum



All kinds of history, from any culture, that ranges from natural to technological to civilization people can learn from a book. But a book can only give a person only a part of a historical experience. By going to a museum the physical experience of the artifacts brings about a new outlook of a subject. Reading about an ancient Egyptian mummy being discovered in a book is magical. Yet, actually seeing a real mummy in a museum while walking around it, looking at the hieroglyphics decorating the sarcophagi and viewing the linen wrapped body brings about a better appreciation for the mummy. By viewing physical artifacts brings awe and admiration to the preservation of knowledge. This is a physical and visual reassurance of history to me.

Whenever I go to a museum I usually have an interest in one or more exhibits of which I have done research about or have learned about. Seeing those artifacts is like putting a face with a name but its experience the readings to physical artifacts. I get a feeling of amazement and satisfaction. That is what I experience whenever I visit a museum and see artifacts that I probably would never have a chance to see.

Not only do I enjoy my experience at a museum but I also like to people watch in a museum. To see how they react to something new or exciting like observing little kids with wide eyes who say ‘wow’ when they are told that an Egyptian mummy is over thousands of years old or hearing people exclaim “I never knew that”. That brings a smile to my face. Because not matter how much I already know I am still learning as does any visitor who decides to spend an afternoon visiting a museum.
Photo is a image from the Royal British Columbia Museum Exhibit Treasures : The Worlds Culture of the Britsih Museum. http://www.blogaholics.ca/wp/uploads/Coffin.jpg

2 comments:

  1. I really liked what you said about first researching objects and how seeing them in real life is an amazing expreince. I liked how you said "Seeing those artifacts is like putting a face with a name but its experience the readings to physical artifacts." I usually do not research at all before going to a museum, but I think that next time I go, I will research first. It seems like having some beforehand knowledge creates a different type of experience as a visitor.

    I also love to people watch at museums too. Seeing little kids get excited about history is just too cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have notice as I have grown into my own, seeing gives me memories worth share with others. We will do a lot of reading and seeing in our lives, but reading about an object and then seeing that object gives one a connection to that object. I think it is great that you like to watch people in museums and over hear their comments of ‘wow’. Every time I hear someone in a museum say something in amazement, I tend to slowly venture over in his or her direction to see what is there, so that I might understand his or her amazement. I would hate to miss an object if it is the only time I’ll ever see it.

    ReplyDelete